Contact: Detective Brian Hofacker (908) 359-3222 ext. 162 – email
MONTGOMERY TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT
FIREARMS APPLICATION FORMS & INSTRUCTIONS
Please read and follow the instructions below when completing your application for a Firearms Identification Card or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
1. Answer all questions on the application forms in their entirety. Do not sign the application; all applications must be signed in the presence of a member of this Agency. (The Attorney General has ruled that any falsification or misstatements made on a Firearms Applications will result not only in denial but also prosecution.)
2. Your references cannot be a relative or in-law or any member of this Police Department. A neighbor, friend or fellow co-worker is acceptable and should, preferably be from the area you now live in and a resident of this state. References must also be at least 18 years of age.
3. Although not required, we recommend that you call (908) 874-3333 x125 to schedule an appointment to have your application reviewed for completeness and processed once you have completed the application forms package. Appointments are scheduled during regular business hours, but may be available at other times upon request depending on staff availability. You will need to bring 2 copies of each of the completed forms in the package and payment with you (cash must be the exact amount).
4. If you have not been fingerprinted for the purpose of a firearms application in the past you will need to do so. At the time of your appointment (step #3) form #IDG_NJAPP will be provided to you. Complete the form and follow the instructions. Fingerprinting is done at one of 16 private facilities throughout the State.
PLEASE NOTE: DOWNLOAD THE BELOW FORMS FIRST PRIOR TO TYPING, IN ORDER TO SAVE A COPY. YOUR DATA WILL NOT BE SAVEABLE IF YOU TYPE WHILE IN BROWSER.
Click on the following links to download, fill-out, save and print these State of NJ forms in fillable PDF format. Two paper copies of each are required:
FIREARMS APPLICATION FEES
ALL FEES ARE DUE WHEN FORMS AND FINGERPRINTING IS COMPLETED
First Time Applicants
1. FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD
$5.00 cash, check or money order payable to Montgomery Township.
2. PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN
$2.00 cash, check or money order, per permit, payable to Montgomery Township.
3. State Police Fingerprint Processing Fee
You will receive a form from the police department when you submit your application to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted through MorphoTrust (known as IdentoGo) and you are required to make an electronic payment at the time of scheduling.
Application(s) for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun & Change of Address
1. PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN
For permits: $2.00 cash, check or money order per permit, payable to Montgomery Township.
For ID card: $5.00 cash, check or money order, payable to Montgomery Township.
2. Change of Address/Duplicate Firearms Identification Card/Application for Permits
You will receive an instructions form to complete an online application form 212A and make your payment electronically to NJ State
IF YOU SHOULD HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, PLEASE CONTACT THE DETECTIVE BUREAU AT (908) 874-3333